Sunday, September 12, 2010

Junior Masterchef

No show has ever made me feel more uncomfortable, and in so many ways. Forget that I didn't know to top and tail french beans when I was 8 or 12 years old, it would've have mattered anyway; I wasn't allowed to use a knife sharp enough. I wouldn't have even been able to identify a truffle let alone know what to do with it, (I don't know how to do that now!), I would've said 'marscapone' as 'mask-a-pone', and surely tempering chocolate was something you did to calm it down when it was angry?



Matt Preston standing over you before you've left primary school? Surely enough for nightmares!

What is this? Is it a set up? Does anyone know any children that can actually cook like this?

Forgetting the freakish cooking talent of these kids, there's something that bothers me far, far more. Yes, they are being incredibly kind and giving the kids guidance but ultimately, they are pinning kid against kid and making it a big competition.

"You are not as good as those kids over there".

It doesn't matter how they say it, they are saying it. That sort of competition amongst kids is not something I like, and it's incredibly uncomfortable to watch. Almost as bad as watching the kid beauty pageants - they're just being judged on something else.

Am I the only one thinking this?

Nat x


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers