Thursday, September 9, 2010

Do you, Detox?

Lately an unusually high percentage of my friends and acquaintances, as well as blogger's posts I have been reading, having been doing detoxes. I'm hugely guilty of declaring I am starting a detox of one sort of another every 3 minutes, but logically, scientifically, I guess, I don't actually believe it's of any benefit.

Let me point out that when I say detox, I mean cutting out major food groups. An example of this was the latest detox I was reading about which was named the 'basic detox', (apparently the simplest and most 'common sense'). This particular plan involved slowly phasing out alcohol and caffeine, which I thought was great, but once they're gone you move onto sugar, wheat and dairy. Sorry, what? Sugar for a while, OK, I can understand, especially as you're probably getting enough through various other non-obvious sugar sources and fruit, but wheat and dairy? That makes it sound like it's assumed all of us have varying levels of gluten and lactose intolerance, which I certainly don't agree with.

The most prominent detox at the moment seems to be the Urban Remedy Cleanse.



This detox is trendy, and I mean trendy, and I admit I am just as curious as the next person and have hounded everybody I know that's gone near it about how it's gone. But, just juice for 5 days for the great price of $325? Surely we've all gone nuts.

Detoxes, including the above, promise to eliminate toxins. OK, fantastic if you live on fast food 6 days of the week, but beyond that,
what is a toxin? Personally I don't think dairy and wheat would come under toxins unless you have the above intolerances.




Mum often tells me about her days at the gym well before I was around, and how much the gym fanatics promoted eating carbs,
as many carbs as possible, and not just wholegrain ones. Amazingly, gym obsessives in the 80s and 90s had just as amazing bodies as the ones now.

I'm concerned it's all gone a bit nuts. Don't even get me started on colonic irrigation!

So, do you detox?
If so, what does detox mean for you?

I'll leave you with words from my nutrition idol, Janella Purcell;

"I don’t believe it’s healthy to put your body through a massive detox, which have been the trend for some years now. It puts way too much pressure on your body and your liver releases too many toxins at once, making you feel nauseous, lethargic and cranky with the added bonus of nasty headaches."

Why would anyone want to do that without proof it makes any difference to anything?

Nat x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers